The Boyd Funeral Home has its roots in LaRue, Ohio in western Marion County when William Clarence Boyd (known as Posey) opened a furniture and mortuary business there in 1922. Working with him was Andy Ford who later became a partner in the LaRue operation of Boyd’s Funeral Home in LaRue. The Ford family purchased and operated it until 1970.
In 1929 Posey moved his mortuary business to Marion on Columbia Street behind the Lust Property on Main Street. In 1935 he purchased the Lust property and joined the two houses to provide more room for his growing business. During the depression the site of the Lust home was sold and a Sohio Filling Station occupied it.
After 1950 Phil operated the funeral home with the help of his wife, Phyllis Hecker Boyd. The former Lust property was repurchased and now is the parking area.
Larry Born, nephew of Phyllis Hecker, has been an employee of Boyd Funeral Home since 1974 and is a licensed funeral director and embalmer.
By 1979 they were serving between 250 and 300 families a year and also operating an ambulance service. Phil Boyd passed away in 2006.
Today, Boyd-Born Funeral Home remains one of Marion’s finest funeral homes and is an outstanding addition to Marion Downtown under the management of Larry Born.